Awarded National Historic Landmark status, The Phoenix, in its new incarnation, retains opulent details that have graced the structure since its inception—coffered ceilings, Kasota and Carrera marble floors and walls, ornate bronze paneled elevators, and elaborate mill and plaster work. Every care was taken to preserve the historic details of the Georgian Revival Tower while designing and constructing the building with the most modern technologies and amenities available. The coalescence of old-fashioned craftsmanship and contemporary design gives The Phoenix an elegance rarely seen in modern construction.
The Insurance Company of North America was founded in 1792 by a group of prominent Philadelphians who created the first publicly owned insurer in the country. In 1922, after more than a century of international success, INA commissioned prominent Philadelphia architect Stewardson and Page to create a grand new headquarters to reflect the firm’s status. “INA wanted to build a monument to its leadership,” says developer Daniel J. Keating, III. “The Phoenix is built to last for the ages.”
The structure’s granite, brick, and limestone facades, punctuated by enormous bronze doors and tall bronze-framed windows, give both symbolic and practical value to the building, which was built to protect the firm’s banking room and financial assets. A steel building frame and foot-thick concrete floors give The Phoenix remarkable stability and soundproofing. An abundance of double-hung windows provide natural light from all directions and inspiring views.
The Phoenix underwent a major renovation in 2002. Every care was taken to preserve the architectural beauty of the Georgian Revival Tower while providing a “new” building with the latest of technologies and energy efficiency.
EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE (267) 514-4112